Discovery of Electron
Air is bad conductor of electricity so vacuum pump is connected to reduce pressure to 0.02mm inside discharge tube currents starts flowing between electrodes and light is emitted. On further reducing pressure in discharge tube greenish yellow color fluorescence occur. As these rays emerging from cathode, Sir J.J.Thomson named them as cathode rays.
Deflection of cathode rays towards positively charged plate in electric field proves that these rays carry negatively charged particles.
These negatively charged particles are named as electrons.
Properties of Cathode Rays
1. Cathode rays always travel in straight line.
|Production of Cathode Rays|
2. Velocity of cathode rays and velocity of light are approximately equal.
3. On applying electric field in the path of cathode rays, cathode rays turn towards +vely charged plate that proves cathode rays are made up from negatively charged particles.
4. Cathode rays rotate light wheel placed in their path that proves cathode rays are made from particles having mass.
5. Cathode rays pass through thin metal foil and it gets slightly heated up by action.
6. These rays produce fluorescence at walls of glass tube.
7. Cathode rays ionize gases and also affect photographic plate.
8. When these rays strike any metal with high melting point (like tungsten W) they produces X-Rays.
Welcome to new Chemistry Notes Info website Welcome Friends… Your chemistry tutor move from ChemistryNotesInfo.blogspot.com to ChemistryNotesInfo.com This is just a welcome post especially from your Chemistry Tutor i.e. Chemistry Notes Info. Dear friends finally now we move our ChemistryNotesInfoLearn More…
Above video is video of 11 Scientists and their Brilliant Inventions. You can also see more videos on famous scientists and their inventions at our YouTube channel Chemistry Notes Info . List of famous scientists and their inventions Archimedes TheRead More…
Abbreviations used in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing As we know pharmaceutical manufacturing products i.e. medicines, life saving drugs have very high importance in our life. Today we learn about various abbreviations used in pharmaceutical manufacturing process steps or simply in pharmaceutical manufacturing companies.Read More…
Welcome to new Chemistry Notes Info website Welcome Friends… Your chemistry tutor move from ChemistryNotesInfo.blogspot.com to ChemistryNotesInfo.com This is just a welcome post especially from your Chemistry Tutor i.e. Chemistry Notes Info. Dear friends finally now we move our ChemistryNotesInfoRead More…
Viscosity Do you know! “What is viscosity“. To understand about viscosity, we take example of some liquids like Honey and Water. As we know honey is thicker than water. So honey flow with very slow speed on floor than water,Read More…
General Knowledge Questions App General Knowledge Questions Free General Knowledge Questions App – This app contains General Knowledge Questions of Samanya Gyan in Hindi and Samanya Budhi in Hindi. General Knowledge Questions App is a Hindi GK app. This GKRead More…