Kossel Lewis Approach To Chemical Bonding
Lewis discussed that atoms achieve stable octet when they linked by chemical bonds.
· In NaCl, an electron transfer from Na to Cl and give Na+ and Cl– ions and ,
· In case of Cl2,H2,F2, sharing of electron takes place to complete stable outer octet.
· Valence electrons take part in chemical reaction or combination.
· Symbol to represent valence electron in atom is known as Lewis symbol.
· Significance of Lewis symbol
To calculate valence = (no. Of dots and or / eight minus no. Of dots)
According to this rule , atoms can combine either by sharing electron or by transfer (gaining or losing ) of electron to complete octet (i.e. 8 electron in outer most shell).