What is an atom?
An Atom Have
- Nucleus is very small and heavy part of the atom.
2. An Surrounding Electron Cloud
- Surrounding electron cloud is large and lightweight part of the atom.
Nucleus of an Atom
- Protons have a positive charge.
- All atoms are distinguished by the number of protons it has (atomic number).
- Neutrons have no charge.
- Neutrons have same mass as protons.
Electron Cloud of an Atom
- Electron have a negative charge.
- Electrons are contained within the shells of electron cloud.
- Electrons have very small mass as compared to neutrons and protons.
- Electron move in orbital motion around nucleus.
- Electrons decides how bonds formed.
|What is Atom – Atomic Structure|
I think now you have lot of information about
What is Atom ?
In Greek Atom means not divided. In 1803 john Dalton made a famous theory atomic theory according to this theory “matter is made up of tiny particles called atoms.” But in 1897 Sir J.J. Thomson proved experimentally that atoms are made of charged particles called electrons. And in the beginning of 20th century many scientists like Lord Rutherford, E. Goldstein proved that atom is not a smallest particle but is made up of electron, protons and neutrons… Learn more about Atomic Structure